Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Spinning Along

I finally made (as in "purposefully took the time") another chance to spin. After the good luck I had with relatively smooth spinning on the leader, all went to h*** in a handbasket. Oh, it isn't really that bad, I don't think? But, not nearly as good as I would have hoped. I still haven't done nearly enough for it all to click, and I am sure that is part of the problem.

I really like the low whorl spindle, but I do like the mechanics of the high whorl spindle better, at least in theory. At least as far as the leader situation and the winding on of the spun singles goes. That long leader is the problem. Well, not really a problem, I guess, but it makes it a tad bit more difficult for the beginner? No photos today, but I will try to put one or more up tomorrow. Then you will see what I mean, perhaps?

I do find that drafting is hard. I expected that, but after reading so much about it, I had hoped it wouldn't be as hard? But it is hard. I also feel that I tend to get too much twist into my singles, and I really have to re-read Spin It again, as she addresses that problem, and I think she also talks about how to know if it is too tight or not tight enough.

For the most part, I think my spinning for the day tended to be thinner than I wanted, and a bit bumpier! One of the bumps was caused when trying to smooth a bump---I ended up with a little halo of fiber that can be moved up and down the length of my singles, but does not wish to be removed. I would have to cut it off.

I imagine next on my list too, is to do more looking around online. I wish I had found a little bit more info on all the beginning things. Even when you have a leader, it isn't always clear, from site to site, whether you just spin onto the end of the leader (which is sometimes what it seems like) or if you loop it through, and then have to cut it off when you have finished winding it onto a bobbin or whatever. Or just what you do at some of these points of the process. I guess it is this kind of thing that is made easier by working with an experienced spinner. On the other hand, I am willing to bet that there are almost as many ways and views as there are spinners. I don't imagine all those ancient and not as ancient spinners worried greatly about it, they were happy to have yarn/thread for weaving, knitting, etc. and knowing that clothing would be the end result. Maybe I should worry less about this kind of thing and more about just enjoying the process and looking forward to the day when it all clicks and "life is good!" Not that it isn't already, but in my spinning world, it isn't there yet!!!!

That is it for the day. I have been busy around the house. I got Mike's cave cleared so the new bookcase can go in when it finally arrives. Have also been working on laundry, balancing the check book, etc. It has been a good "putter around the house" day.

Jo---I sent an email to your regular email addy. It was good getting your email from the folks email address! Sounds like you all are having a good time and getting a lot done!!!

2 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Joanna said...

Garage sale coming along well - tell Mike he owe's me big time, as we have been up in the attic and removed about 300# of junk.

Going out to dinner tonight at Brazos. I am going to have their chicken fried steak ...

did see my email on comcast. I'll write more later

keep up the spinning .... i need you to lead the way.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Sally said...

Hey Jo---good to see your comment. Glad you saw the email. I got the latest email, too. Glad to hear that all is going well. Great job on the attic! Mike will appreciate it! Yummm, chicken fried steak---I think we are all jealous! I have been keeping it in mind, guiding you when you start spinning---it will be fun, 3 spinners in the family, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home