Saturday, February 25, 2006

Heels, Heels, Heels....

That has been my focus. I feel like I spent most of yesterday focused on heels. I am learning a lot, so the time isn't wasted. I do wish I had just skipped the short row heel sooner, and spent more time knitting little socks! Oh well. I will still knit all the little socks I can get out of the bright yellow wool, they just won't all be done during the Knitting Olympics.

I have found that there are three ways (that I have found so far) of doing the short row heel, and so I will try them all. Well, I have already tried the bane to my existence, the wrapped stitch version! I took out the trusty bit of practice knitting yesterday---the one that Anne had started 2 circular ribbing in the round on, and that I had added to, then practiced the wrapped stitch heel on. I added some more plain knitting to it, and then tried out the yarn over short row heel. It worked out well, is easier than the wrapped one, but I still got holes when I joined to the front of the sock. I think more practice and a couple of added stitches will take care of it though? I still want to try the Japanese short row method, as I read that it is even better. This is all for later though, as I have put aside the Poor Little Sock, and cast on another one. My intention was to just knit the class sock in Sensational Knit Socks by Charlene Schurch. I have been modifying it though. Actually, so far it is very much like the Poor Little Sock that has been put aside. I am referring to the heel section of the Olympic sock pattern for guidance on the heel flap, since the class sock is ribbed all the way down, and mine isn't. It is all a good exercise in adapting, changing to suit me, etc! I started on the heel flap last night. Once I finish this new little sock, I will have to decide whether to start his match from scratch, or use the Poor Little Sock, ripping his heel once again and putting in the heel flap. By the way, the yarn has held up really well, the poor little short row heel, with hole on each side at joining, looks just as nice as ever, as far as the yarn goes. This yarn is really great! However, I will only knit his heel one more time, and this will have to work, which is why I am considering just putting the heel flap on him!

In the long run, the Knitting Olympics has been a great learning experience for me. I finally bit the bullet and knit a sock, two actually! I have learned a lot about short row heels, and will learn more and master them! Stephanie, aka the Yarn Harlot is a constant inspiration, and I am so glad she came up with the idea of a Knitting Olympics!

2 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Joanna said...

i admire your perserverance!

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Sally said...

Thank you! I just wish I could have mastered the short row heel in time to use it for the little Olympic socks. Oh well.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home