Monday, January 23, 2006

All Signed Up!

Well, I am sure Steph, the Yarn Harlot, had no idea what she was starting, when she blogged her idea of a Knitting Olympics, to run in conjunction with the upcoming Winter Olympics! I sent in an email to sign up, and have been checking the list on the "Olympics" page watching for all the names to appear on the list! Today is finally the day. Anne has been on for a while, and I have been since not too long after Anne. I saw Anne's friend Kimberly listed too! Today I finally saw Jo's name, and also Anne's good friend Tandy! The total number to date is finally listed again too, and it is a mind staggering 1366. Pretty darn impressive, I think!

I will knit my first sock, as I think I have already mentioned. I am still thinking about patterns, yarn, etc, although not too hard yet. I did order yarn, two kinds, so I can decide once I see them (Anne had things she wanted to order too, and was anxious to combine the order and get it in!). Anne has also offered me sock yarn from her stash, and one of those might win the battle, you never know. I had thought of "training" by knitting the little practice sock listed in one of Anne's sock books, but have had second thoughts. Since my entry is knitting my first sock, I don't think knitting even a little practice sock is quite right. However, I do think I might use that pattern to cast on and try knitting in the round using the different sock options---4 dpns, 5 dpns, 2 circulars, etc, and see what I like best. It would be a shame to lose knitting time by finding the one that I randomly chose doesn't suit me. And, I think that is well within the framework of "training"!

I haven't done any knitting lately. I am still sneezing and coughing more than usual, although not nearly as much as I was. I don't want to risk any allergy reactions again before things are more settled. There is always plenty to do in the house, so it sure isn't like I sit around doing nothing!

I do have a feeling that I had best decide on a sock pattern, find out which needles I will want to use, etc. The Olympics will be here before we know it!

3 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger Joanna said...

I know the answer .... this is what I have done and it is legal, legal, legal .... start yourself a sock gauge tube. In fact, I'll take a picture of mine so you can see it and blog about it. Start the tube with the number of stitches you think you might use for your sock .... I suggest 56 ..... then pick one of the yarns you like .... cast on and knit about 10 rows with the largest size needle you think you will use, then purl one row, and then change needles and go down one size, knit another 10 rows, purl a row, and change again ..... do this for each of the yarns you think you might use. This way, you not only get to see what each yarn looks like, you also see what gauge looks nicest with that yarn and you can try it on and decide if it is enough stitches ..... etc. Got it? And you have not cheated because you are only knitting a tube . . . not a sock! You can sleep at night.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Sally said...

Thanks Jo, and I saw your blog too! The new yarn hasn't arrived yet, but I might start with some of the yarn Anne has offered. Or I might wait, I had a nasty migraine again yesterday, and I like to give myself time to really recover before exposing myself to potentially allergy inducing yarn smells.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Sally, I live in Indialantic and I am a Medical Trancriptionist, working currently for the Space Coast Cancer Center. I found a pattern online for some cancer or chemo beanies, and suddenly I got the urge to learn to knit/crochet, and possibly network with some people who would like to make some beanies for the patients at the cancer center too! Any, first thing first, I have to learn how to knit/crochet. Can you tell me the easiest way to do this in our area? Can I self teach? I have looked at a lot of videos online and I think can self teach, but I have questions and no one to ask, lol. Your advice would be greatly valued. Please email me at chezrobin@gmail.com. Thank you! Smile Brightly, ~Robin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home