Saturday, November 26, 2005

The Next Finished Project!

Okay, you have seen this before, but it is so cute, and it does fit here! Have you guessed? Yes, it is Michelle's Halloween costume, Winnie the Pooh!






Anne came up with the idea, and started things off by starting the hat, in crochet. She was able to use her expertise from crocheting another Pooh project, and did a great job! She got me to knit the top and bottom. I did delay getting to work on the project, trying to decide just what patterns to use for the pants and the sweater. Also, I had an idea of trying to arrange the top so that the "red shirt" had actual edges of its own, so it would all look more "Pooh-like." I spent a lot of time thinking of just how to do it, and actually ended up doing it differently than I had planned. I still hadn't come up with a good plan on the sweater when I went ahead and knit the pants, since they didn't need any special treatment.

To do the top, I started with the sleeves. I knit both at the same time, so I wouldn't have to measure so much and try to get both sleeves the same! I still hadn't finished my plan for the edging of the red shirt, so when the time came, I just made the color change to red. That looked pretty good all by itself! I knit the front and back at the same time too, on a set of circular needles, but using them to knit back and forth. Ditto with the color change. I finished the neck by knitting in stockinette instead of doing the ribbed collar called for. I then went back and brought up stitches with new yarn, along the color change on the sleeves and then along the front of the sweater. I worked those all in stockinette, long enough to curl and add the kind of edge I wanted. It worked out better than I dared to hope. I didn't add the edging to the back of the sweater, as I felt it might be uncomfortable for Michelle.

The top is big, but it actually worked out well, as I think it gives Michelle a bulkier look and gives a more Pooh-like appearance! The sleeves and pant legs are long too---I figure there is a good chance she can wear it next year too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home